Sunday, June 28, 2015

Lost Hope

It's nearly midnight. The family are all tucked safely into bed, even my baby girl is asleep. She is tucked into the pure dreams of the newborn, and here I am awake. I'm up thinking, considering, pondering, and perhaps praying. I'm not really all that good at prayer, I've always felt it impersonal, a paper letter waiting response.

 Friday, June 26th, 2015 the Supreme Court made it illegal for states to define marriage as being between only a man and a woman. There was celebration, a joyous chorus, weddings, congratulations. On CNN a reporter mistook a flag that held the image of a dildo and a butt plug for an ISIS flag. Dear Lord I need to learn to pray more fully, more faithfully.  This is what that community fought for?  A flag with those images?  There is no chance this is going to end well.

I'm going to predict something. This secularized culture will implode, I give it thirty years, maybe less.  I'm not a prophet, I can't say for certain times, this is just a prediction, a guess based on past events.

The next generation of kids will grow up in a spiritual vacuum, they will seek something concrete, something with absolutes, and they will turn to... Islam. Islam is the anti-Christianity.  It posits that what matters most are the rules, don't eat this, pray like this, take a pilgrimage, wear this clothing.  Jesus spends a good amount of time preaching against the idea that God can be pleased with the inane following of law, without a heart that desires God above all else.

Islam is poised to take off in the west because it will fill the empty chasm left by several generations of thought that tell everyone that you can make reality in your own image.  When things turn bad, when the next crisis comes, when the celebrations that have started this week end and everyone discovers that nothing has really changed, then what?  The chasm is deep, never ending really.  Nothing can fill it.  Christ is the right answer to that chasm, but I believe the time of our nation turning to the Bible for answers maybe in the past.

The young people of this generation seek a cause, they have sought to pour themselves into something, anything. Nature abhors a vacuum, you can't fill a spiritual void with sex, money, drugs, rock and roll, or social issues. I believe Islam will take off as the anti-secular movement of the next generation. I hope I'm wrong, I hope that Christianity finds its voice once again, that a new Billy Graham will appear and teach us repentance, but I am not optimistic.

If anyone finds this post who is not a family member, and believes I'm some sort of bigot, I can assure you I am not. For the past few days I've seen posts, tweets, memes, and message boards that call me a bigot in an overt sort of way.  By that I mean that I have not posted anything to a message thread and been called a bigot, but I've see messages that call my point of view bigoted.  Not so, you are free to have you're opinion, this is mine.  If you don't agree with what I'm saying it means we have differing opinions, not that I hate you or someone you love. If anything I feel that the hate mostly goes the other way now days. I would not wish to have someone fired for being gay, I would not ask a gay baker to provide a cake for an anti-homosexual group. Somehow it's alright to discriminate if these things are reversed though (and I'm using these examples because these have happened recently). Okay end rant...

1 comment: